Friday 12 June 2020

Veletaris Storm Section




"The Veletarii are the most skilled and dedicated warriors in the Solar Auxilia, issued with the most potent weaponry and tasked with the most arduous of battlefield missions. Veletaris Storm Sections are often gathered together into special, cohort-level reserves which serve as their commander’s household under his direct command, or they may be raised on a company-by company basis. On occasion, they serve as a formal guard of honour for the Legate Commander, bearing ceremonial power axes which they sometimes even use in battle. The Veletaris are deployed in a number of roles. Some commanders use them as shock troops whose discipline and firepower can overwhelm even the most fearsome of enemies. Others utilise them as a line reserve, able to react quickly to enemy breakthroughs and bolster a wavering defence."



I wanted to get some Veletaris to the next level... All gritty and muddy, these poor bastards on meagre rations are taking on the most horrifying things the universe can throw at them.
Equipped with the Martian deathrays also known as Volkites they will choooom away anything nasty that crosses their path...
Or die trying...

And to be totally frank, with all the monstrosities of the universe or the warp the odds is not in their favour...
But thats whats makes them the true heroes of the Imperium, regular humans taking on the horrors of the Warhammer 30k/40k universe even with strength and toughness of 3....

After I converted and painted my recent squadron of Auroxes I felt that I needed another squad to ride in them.


With this squad I wanted to paint to a little higher standard then the other units of my Solar Auxilia collection that are mostly speedpainted to event deadlines. So I experimented with oil colours as washes to get that dulled down gritty "grimdark" feeling to them.

With this unit I also switched to paint the volkite glow to orange and I like it so I think I will keep painting them orange in the future.




The Cosmonaut head on the Veletarii Prime is from Puppetwars and adds a ton of charachter to the squad.











And I just love to add that florescent paint from Vallejo for the UV light shine...




Notice the shine from the volkite gun on the head of the Veleterii Prime or the light from the searchlight on the regular Veleterii.

And he is all out of bubblegum...
 



2 comments:

  1. The orange works really well, the look excellent. I may need to look into those Vallejo paints too. How did you find the oil paints to work with? Very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just started to experiment with oils and this is the first time I used it on infantry having only used it on vehicles before. I like it, but it will take some effort to get use to it.
      Flourecent colours are really nice and "pops" even in regular lights.

      Delete